In Multicultural Australia, Health Professionals, Pastoral and Spiritual Carers and Volunteers need to have some knowledge of faith traditions other than their own.
This program offers a taste of such knowledge. The program will focus on health and end of life care needs from the perspective of five specific faith communities:
- Islamic: with Sr Lina Ayoubi, Hospital and Prison Pastoral Care Coordinator at the Islamic Council of Victoria, an accomplished public speaker and until recently Board of Imams Executive Officer.
- Hindu with Rev. Albert Lange (Bhakta Dasa) a registered Vaisnava Hindu Minister of Religion with the International Society for Krishna Consciousness. He is the General Secretary of the Hindu Community Council of Victoria overseeing Hindu Care, Chaplaincy and Pastoral Care.
- Sikh with Amarjit Singh migrated to Australia in 1995 from Singapore. He works as a Registered Nurse, with a background of 24 years in Emergency and Remote Area Nursing. He serves as a volunteer Sikh Chaplain within Corrections Victoria, and is engaged in many interfaith activities.
- Jewish with Jo Silver, Project Manager at the Jewish Community Council of Victoria, Chair of the JCCV Pastoral Care Steering Committee, Manager for JCCV’s Safeguarding Children Reference group. She is also secretary for the Jewish Christian Muslim Association.
- Buddhist with Hojun Futen Osho a Buddhist monk of the Soto Zen tradition. He is coordinator of healthcare chaplaincy for the Buddhist Council of Victoria and volunteers his time at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, the Melbourne Assessment Prison and Port Philip Prison.
What: Health & End of Life Care Multi Faith Forum
When:Wednesday 12th November, 2014 9:30am (9:15 registration) – 4pm
Where: Wangaratta Uniting Church Centre, Rowan Street, Wangaratta
Cost: Cost: Professionals - $20 Volunteers/Community - $10 (Morning Tea and Lunch included)
More information: Friday 7th Nov. to NHW Education & Research Unit (using attached registration sheet) Enquiries: Ange or Dan NHW Pastoral Care - 5722 5217
Download a Flyer for this event
1,580 total views, 2 views today